Download Version 1.7.3
(click here for the Name Munger version history).
Name Munger (pronounced "Name Munjer") is a powerful, yet simple-to-use batch file renaming utility. Simply drag one or more files or folders onto the Name Munger icon and you can easily add text before or after the existing name, change one or more occurrences of part of the name or even remove some of the name. In a snap you can rename dozens or even hundreds of files.
Download Name Munger and try it FREE before purchasing.
Name Munger Features
- Quickly rename one file or a thousand with a simple drag-n-drop!
- Add to the beginning of file and folder names.
- Add to the end of file and folder names.
- Replace text anywhere in a file or folder name.
- Remove text from anywhere in a file or folder name.
- Strip any character or set of characters from file or folder names.
- Strip leading and/or trailing spaces from a file or folder name.
- Change file names to ALL UPPER CASE, all lower case, Title Caps, or Initial caps.
- Add customizable numbers before, after or instead of file or folder names.
- Renames items in nested folders or just those you select.
- Preview your changes before applying them.
Name Munger screen snapshots
||Name Munger can replace text in a file or folder name with alternate text. The pop-up menu provides options to replace the first, last, or all occurrences of the text. Check one or both of the boxes to strip off any leading or trailing spaces in the name.
||Name Munger can easily add text to the beginning or ending of the file or folder name.
||Name Munger can change names and file extensions to UPPER CASE, lower case, Initial caps--even Title Caps.
||Name Munger can automatically number files and folders. The numbers can be added before or after the name or even instead of the existing name, start at any number and increment by any number.
Download Name Munger today!
||Disk Image (.dmg) file for Mac OS X (5.8 MB)
||Stuffit (.sit) file for Mac OS 9 (3.3 MB)
||Setup file (.exe) for Microsoft Windows (3.1 MB)
|Purchase a license for Name Munger
||Complete an offer from TrialPay and get Name Munger free!
|Macintosh:||PowerPC G3 or later; Mac OS 9.1 or later;
built for Mac OS X (10.2 or later).
|Windows:||Windows 98, NT (4.0 or higher), ME, 2000, 2003 Server, XP.
- Corrected a problem sorting the file list.
- Improved wording of labels and menus in the Number pane.
- Changed the behavior of the digits menu in the Number pane to allow numbers without leading zeros.
- Added a Task menu with keyboard shortcuts for each pane.
- Added a one-step Macintosh-to-Windows file name preset.
- Corrected a problem when stripping a number of characters from names in sub-folders.
- Improved performance of the version check when not connected to the Internet.
- Added sort options for the item list (name, creation date, modification date, size and type)
- Added fields to the strip tab that allow removal of portions of file and folder names based on a starting position and number of characters to remove.
- Added an option to remove entire file names before numbering.
- Added an "Initial caps" option to the Change Case tab.
- Added an option to check for Name Munger updates.
- Improved performance of the Replace and Remove tabs.
- Improved performance of the preview pane.
- Added user-definable default settings.
- Remembers previous renaming settings between sessions.
- Added file and folder icons to the list panel.
- Added option to remove existing numbers when numbering files.
- Improved performance when stripping characters from file names.
- Universal Binary (Mac OS X version only).
- Added the Clear Item List button.
- Dramatically improved performance of the installer (MS-Windows).
- Corrected a problem with previewing "Replace All Occurrences" operations which could cause Name Munger to freeze.
- Increased the efficiency of "Replace" operations for better performance.
- Added the Preview pane, which shows the effects of changes before applying them.
- Added visual feedback to indicate that Name Munger is busy during operations on large numbers of nested files.
- Name Munger stays open after renaming operations.
- Added 'Change Case' function to change the capitalization of file names and extensions.
- Added automatic numbering of files and folders.
- Allows dragging of files to re-order them before numbering.
- Renames files in nested folders, optionally renaming the folders as well.
- Initial release for Microsoft Windows.
- Added 'Strip Characters' panel.
- Strip Characters function removes all occurrences of any number of characters from file or folder names simultaneously.